Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

My New Normal

Appears to be suffering on a regular basis.  Once again I found myself in the emergency room. Friday, in the wee hours I found myself passing another gallstone.  Let me tell you, this is not pleasant.  Pain got me out of bed twenty after two.  I paced, I sat in my recliner, reclined, sat up straight,  bent over at the waist. Even did childs pose on the floor with a pllow. Trying anything to relieve the pain.  Meditation when I could block the pain.  Around five am was the excruciating pain of passing this stone....this lasted just over an hour.  During this time I get clammy, then chilled.  I'm sure my blood pressure shoots up. Cuz this is not normal!

Finally the episode was over.  My comfort level improved drastically and around six thirty I went back to bed.  One to get some rest and two to warm up! I was so cold my teeth were chattering.  And it's not cold here.

We both got up when Jim’s alarm went off at 8 am. When I got up I felt decent if tired.  Within ten minutes my back pain had returned and it was bad.   I’ve learned that this back pain is a precursor to passing a stone.  It happened the first time and again this time.  So when the familiar pain returned, I got in touch with my doctor.  I was told to go to the emergency room, again.

The VA hospital is a good long drive from here in lockdown conditions.  As we pulled up we went through a quick screening answering quick questions and having our temperatures taken. We were given a wrist band which was checked at the doot.  Inside, at the entrance to the ER stations were set up to check us in.  The seats in the waiting room had signs on every other chair, do not sit here. This was to keep some separation between patients.  Not to worry, when we arrived there were only four people there.

I was seen fairly quickly.  Was told I shouldn’t have come etc.  They mostly talked to me, no exam. Lab work was ordered to see if it would show any damages to my liver or kidneys.  Had there been I could have gotten surgery.  But alas, I am healthy. The doctor did give me some pain meds.  I took my first dose on the way home.  Worked!  We got home around 1600.  Just in time to feed Boo.  He sure was happy to see us! 

Since the restaurants aren't letting in anyone to dine we waited until we got home to eat lunch....both of us were hungry!  The rest of the day was spent in comfort for me.  Around 8 pm I started getting twinges in my back so at bedtime I took more pain killers so I could sleep good.  And I did!

Do you pop out of bed the first time you awaken?  Or are you like me and roll over and try to go back to sleep?  Well that's what I did this morning.  The familiar twinge in my back was starting up and I couldn't get comfortable.  So I was up before 6 am.  I'm allowed to take the pain pills 4 times a day, as needed.  So I'll probably wait as long as I can before taking it again.  no refills.  But I can ask my primary care physician for more.

I’m at home and I sure hope no more stones want to come out! Covid 19 is delaying elective surgeries everywhere around the country. Mine is in June postponed from 31 March.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your condition. Hope you feel better. I lost my sister yesterday and feeling kind of alone...seeing as how I am the last of our family. Get well soon

    Joe Sherri and Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss Speedy. I've lost two of my younger siblings and it's quite painful. Today I feel great! As long as those rolling stomes don't reappear I'll be fine

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!