Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Do it Yourself

What does that title say to you?  DIY, you've all seen the words and the acronym.  Today it's about making soup.  I'm doing it myself!

Early Friday morning....well a quarter of eight actually I started making a pot of potato corn chowder.  I'm not much on breakfast foods but I can eat soup.  So what better way to control fats, sugar and salt but by making my own soup?

I used a recipe from the New McDougall Cookbook.  I've made this soup before from scratch  and from my head.  It's a basic soup.  Onions, celery, potatoes, corn plus your seasonings.  Well this soup is boring!  It called for water (6 cups) when I usually use broth (homemade preferably). I added the herbs (marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano) and added more after everything had cooked for awhile.  I'll add more when I reheat for my meals.  Probably Cajun.  I make my own Cajun seasoning without salt.  

I split the pot with Sonsearae and warned her about the blandness.  She tasted it and added some Bragg organic sprinkle, which is 24 herbs and spices.  Hope that works for her.

We did our chores this morning which includes dishes, bed making, laundry, washing windows and doing our thing with the ice chests.  Still no refrigerator.  An electrician is supposed to come by Monday and see if he can figure out the wiring.

Big salad along with sauteed onions and mushrooms for our midday meal.  Shortly thereafter Jim is napping....or perhaps I should say Siesta time!  It's much to hot to do anything outside.  Heat index is 109.  We should go to the mall and walk....

I read for a bit then decided to check my eyelids for light leaks and don't you know Jim got up!  So we both spent time on our computers.  He has gotten the Windows 10 update...meanwhile I'm still waiting.  Boo has been fed and Jim had some coffee.  I've pretty much given up an afternoon coffee....oh, did I tell you I've stopped putting sugar in my  coffee?  Goes along with my SOS plans.  That stands for salt, oil, and sugar as in no salt, oil or sugar....or in my case a lot less than I was consuming.

And there you have it, a day in the life of of a couple who are retired....All is right in our world

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!