Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Something Different

Today I'm going to start something different on this blog. I want to share recipes with y'all and I hope you'll check back every Wednesday to see what I've posted.

Yesterday Jim and I headed into Palatka for lunch at Chili's and some shopping.  Our lunch was very good and relatively cheap for us.  If you discount the $9 for our beer we ended up paying just $14.60 for our meal.  Jim had ribs and I got a salad added onto his meal for just $2.99! My salad was the Santa Fe chicken salad which I ordered without meat or cheese.  I also had an email (just sign up at Chili's) coupon for a free appetizer or dessert.  We had the chips and dips, guacamole and salsa.  We didn't finish those or my salad....but we had no leftovers to cart home.....

Stopped at Walmart for some glues Jim needed for repairs around the house.  Then a stop at Publix for a couple grocery items.  

Despite the size of the city of Palatka there isn't much there except the big box stores.  We haven't even been to the mall because it's pitiful 

Since tomato season is starting up across the south and heading north I though I'd post this recipe I found at Cook's Illustrated.  Jim and I both like it and it's a great way to use stale bread and extra tomatoes!

Italian Bread Salad (Panzanella)

Panzanella recipes benefit from the juices exuded by the tomatoes soaking into the bread. Though it may sound like a lot of work to make this salad, it isn't, just make your croutons, or buy some before hand

6 cups rustic Italian or French bread cut into one inch pieces (1/2 - 1 Pound)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes, cored and seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 T red wine vinegar
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced thin
1 shallot, sliced thin
1/4 cup fresh basil,chopped


  • 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss bread pieces with 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt; arrange bread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Toast bread pieces until just starting to turn light golden, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  • 2. Gently toss tomatoes and ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Transfer to colander and set over bowl; set aside to drain for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
  • 3. Whisk remaining 6 tablespoons oil, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon pepper into reserved tomato juices. Add bread pieces, toss to coat, and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
  • 4. Add tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, and basil to bowl with bread pieces and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.

  • I made my croutons before hand as I had a lot of rolls to use up before I had to toss them.  And I'm sure if you bought them already made it would save time.  It makes a lovely meal and reminded me of Bruschetta....just served in a bowl!
  •  Let me know if you try this and what you think of it!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!