Pages

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Ft Sam Houston, San Antonio

It's been an interesting 24 hours.  We arrived yesterday at round this time but had trouble at the checkpoint.  My ID card had expired and they confiscated it.  They gave us instructions on what and where to go to rectify this.  BUT the gate we came in wouldn't take us there or to the campground. So getting directions we exit and drive around hopelessly seeing the sights of  Ft Sam Houston.

Meanwhile, it being Friday afternoon mind you, I'm calling the ID place to see about getting an ID.  I keep getting a message saying the answering service isn't turned on.  It is lunchtime so I'll call later.

We finally located the campground and as soon as I can I try calling again.  You do know I hate making phone calls.  Still no one answers and I get the same message.  No worries, I'll make the appointment online. Except the website says it's not secure and it won't let me proceed further.  By now it's after 1600. So I give up.

Even Jim tried.  I don't think he believed me about the phone because he knows I hate using the phone!  But he had the same results.

This morning it was quite refreshing when I got up with the temperature at 64 degrees.  I love it!  As I type this it's 86 degrees outside and quite lovely.

Jim took advantage of the cooler morning to wash most of the rig.  He finished around 1230 and we both had some lunch.  After lunch he shaved and we headed out to get me a temporary pass so I could get on and off base.  Using the instructions given to Jim by the camp host we took another tour of a different part of the base!

But we finally made our way to the correct gate to get a temporary pass.  While there the officer told us the first available appointment for a new ID was October 11th.  We won't be here as we leave Friday.  So I'll have to find another military base to accomplish this.

We backtracked and drove around the commissary area and located the package store where we paid $4 for a twenty pound bag of ice for the cooler.  We're keeping the beer out of the fridge for traveling purposes.  I really don't want beer bottles clanking around possibly getting broken.  Jim also bought a six pack because everyone knows a full cooler keeps everything cooler!

Back home Jim is napping and I'm typing.  

By the way we had a map....but I'm not sure any of the people we got instructions from were familiar to any other sections of the base.  The second gate we proceeded through we were given stop light and stop signs with a left left right etc...So Jim and were questioning each other about which way to go...

All is right in our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!