Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Lovely outing with Jim

Yesterday I wanted to go to the mall for a haircut. So we left after my morning chores of dishes, laundry and bed making.  It was cool outside so we wore jeans and I wore a long sleeved shirt.

While I was in MasterCuts Jim walked the mall.  Soon we were walking out in the warm sunshine!

I had no other plans but Jim did!  We went to Mama's on 10th street in McAllen for lunch.  First up was a pitcher of sangria and was it tasty.  We both ordered sandwiches and enjoyed a leisurely lunch. I was asked if I'd like to go to the movies for my birthday and I said yes!  We both want to see Dr Strange and Fantastic Beasts

Driving home we made a detour to check out this tall, black monolithic looking thing and discovered it was the centerpiece of the Veterans Memorial.  We'd been there before but I think this a new addition.




Every conflict was represented around the circle


Jim's dad flew out of England during WWII while my father fought on the ground in Italy


Even the women were memorialized with this display


I think if you click on a picture you'll get a bigger version in another window and you can read the inscriptions



On the ground surrounding the memorials they sold bricks and paving stones like the one above to remember Texans who fought and died



Five sided so each branch of the military is represented, of course this is the Navy side.  Around the base each state is represented by the date they became a state.

We were both very moved by this display

Then I guess Jim was in the mood for a movie right now so we went to Tinseltown and saw Dr Strange with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Back home Boo was happy to see us as it was time for his dinner.  After feeding him we decided to sit outside and enjoy the nice breeze. Jim had his coffee and phone. I trimmed my nails and had some watermelon which I shared with Boo...who knew he liked it?

Our evening was spent watching NCIS and Bull


Today is the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor.  Not many of the survivors are left but we owe a debt to those who lost their lives that day and to those who lived to fight on.

All is right in our world

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!