Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Manitou Springs, Colorado

Yesterday started off with chores, dishes, laundry, bathing Boo, etc....After Jim shaved he was ready to check out the area and see how much we remember.

So we changed into our city duds and hit the road! I didn't know where we were going but I was pretty sure lunch would be involved because Jim skipped breakfast. Before long we were heading to Manitou Springs. We both like strolling the main drag and checking out the shops

We found a parking spot quickly and soon we were walking uphill and enjoying the street scene. I followed Jim, thought he was heading for the ice cream shop but we kept going and stopped
at the Mona Lisa Fondue Restaurant. http://www.monalisafondue.com/ As many of you know I don't eat dairy for cholesterol reasons, but every now and then I do, for instance pizza. Well you can't eat at a fondue place without trying the fondue! We started with the Greek Isle fondue,a blend of Emmental, Gruyere and Blue cheese in a white wine base topped with Feta cheese, pine nuts and Kalamata olives. Bread cubes, veggies and fruit to dip in the luscious cheese. Mmm mmm mmm!
Our lunch was grilled seafood: Rockport Lobster tail, Yellow Fin Tuna, Chesapeake Bay Scallops, Large Gulf Tiger Shrimp, and Atlantic Salmon. It also came with some cooked rosemary potatoes, red onion, portobello mushroom, bread, mozarella cheese, lemon, pickle and dipping sauces. What was really unique was the grill on the table for us to cook it all on!
It was delicious! Oh, I had a glass of pinot grigio too. They have wine tastings too! By this time we were stuffed so we passed on chocolate fondue but want to go back, maybe with friends!
After that sumptuous lunch we had to stroll around to work some of it off. These pictures are from around the city.

















We stopped in a couple shops, Jim bought some items in the Dulcimer Shop and I looked at clothes that cost too much. I did not go into the Olive Shop! but I will while we're here.


Not sure which street Jim was looking for or why but we took a different route home and ended up right where we wanted to be on Academy!

There are bikes lanes everywhere and I am always amazed to see them being used. Some of the folks here have got to be in shape!


We stopped in a couple more stores, REI and Jim finally found a hat he's been looking for. Also some items for our trikes. Then we made a stop at Whole Foods, my favorite grocery store in the whole country! I didn't need a lot but I had fun looking and I did pick up some veggies, fruit and frozen stuff plus a loaf of bread from the bakery.
Back home we put away our purchases and changed clothes. It was time for coffee and Boo wanted his dinner. Jim went outside to work on the trikes while I checked emails and played games on the computer.
We didn't worry about dinner. We were still stuffed from lunch. We did take a walk around the campground. It's filled with pine trees and natural undergrowth. Boo walked with us and didn't protest about the gravel roads.


I did fix some cole slaw and corn on the cob for my dinner. Jim declined and had peanut butter and crackers. We watched TV and played games on our computers the rest of the evening.












No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!