Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cripple Creek, Colorado

Up at the crack of dawn! I don’t mind getting up early, it’s quiet and practically no one is out side. I can watch the critters and birds and follow the progress of the sun as it rises ever higher in the sky.

This morning the sun was peeking through clouds and as the time passed more clouds covered the sky. Jim got up before 0800! Doesn’t happen often.

We knew there was going to be a power outage for an hour this morning so we went shopping! Actually we just headed over to the BX to see what they have the we went to the Commissary and picked up some groceries. Not sure why, we don't seem to stay home to eat them!

Once home we did eat some lunch then we headed out for a drive. Our destination? Cripple Creek. This is our third time in this area and our third visit to Cripple Creek! I just love being driven in the mountains. Jim does an excellent job of finding narrow roads to scare me!

Seriously we both enjoy the views and I think Jim likes the challenge. We drove on the Gold Camp Road and the Old Stage Road. I have a lot of pictures to share with you but I'm having an awful time getting them to upload so check back, I promise to post them soon. Some are on Facebook

The last few miles of the Old Stage Road were quite bumpy but as we neared the end of the drive we saw Broadmoor down in the valley. Quite breathtaking, so it was worth it. Once we came down off the mountains we ran into some light rain, driving through it into sunshine.

We both admitted to being hungry so we stopped at Carrabba's http://www.carrabbas.com/ for dinner. Jim had Spiedino Di Mare (Shrimp and sea scallops coated with Italian breadcrumbs, grilled and topped with lemon butter sauce) which came with a salad and cavatappi amatriciana. I had Pollo Rosa Maria (chicken stuffed with fontina and prosciutto, topped with mushrooms and a basil lemon butter sauce) which came with soup and garlic mashed potatoes. Red wine to wash it down but no dessert. We enjoyed every bite but I did not like my minestrone soup.....

At home Boo was glad to see us and I quickly fed him as it was past his dinner time. I settled in with some coffee and we've been relaxing this evening. Around 2100 we heard some rain but it was just a light shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!