Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yesterday I had a post all typed out and when I went to publish it I was offline and it disappeared.... I hate when that happens.

Sunday we left Tucson around 1030 and drove down I-10 to Highway 80 for the short drive to Bisbee, Arizona. We got here around 1300 and set up in no time. The Queen Mine Campground is very small and the entrance is very tricky! At least it was for me, Jim said if we'd have been a bit longer we wouldn't have made it.

We decided to stroll around town and we stopped in a couple shops. It has the typical shops, antiques, artsy stuff, junk etc. We did stop in the Bisbee Coffee house and had coffee and dessert. Both were good.

Once home we didn't do much for dinner our pastries filled us up. I had some noodles and Jim had an English muffin.

Yesterday we planed on touring the mine but the 1030 tour was booked so we made reservations to do that today. We needed propane and the camp host sent us to Naco, There's Golf Resort there and we paid $37.13 for 9.4 gallons of propane. That's more than we paid last time we needed it! We stopped by Safeway and picked up a few groceries and trucked them and the propane back to the house.

We headed east on Hwy 80 and drove into Douglas because I needed some lunch. Found a Burger King and we were all set!. Not hungry anymore.

We then headed back west on hwy 80 to find the Whitewater Draw Wildlife area, http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/wildlife_area_grasslands.shtml. North on hwy 191 to find the Draw, let me tell you they really don't want you to find it! We got to where we thought the turnoff should be and there weren't any signs. We asked at a gas station and got directions. We also paid $2.82 for fuel.

We found it! Driving down back roads and I have to say it was well worth the trip. Who knew Arizona had this much water in one place! There weren't a lot of water fowl to be seen closeup. But we could hear them across the way. There are observation decks and scopes and what I found was Sand Hill Cranes! Thousands of them! At first I thought they were geese, Jim thought they were rocks. But the closer we came and observed we could see the individual birds. It must be wonderful to see this place early in the morning or when migration is taking place. There is a spot where overnight camping is allowed and I can't imagine how thrilling it must be to wake and see all the birds flying off to feed.

We drove home on a back road and picked up hwy 80 just east of Bisbee. I had made some pea soup earlier and put the finishing touches on it for dinner. We had French bread to go with it.

Jim helped me clean up the dishes and I watched Dancing With the Stars while he read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!