Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Recipe Wednesday~~Rainbow Salad

Our 39th Anniversary was last Friday and after Jim got off work we went out to dinner at 3 Banana's down in Crescent City.  A pitcher of Shock Top beer and fried dinners followed by a slice of chocolate peanut butter pie....all very tasty but we suffered for it! It wasn't the most healthy meal...

Saturday we got  lovely anniversary card from our friend Anne.  She is a very thoughtful person and we thank her for thinking of us

We decided to have our cookout Saturday and as the day wore on it started clouding up and around 1600 we heard some thunder....So Jim said let's get cooking!  I got the potato baking and we thought we'd eat around 1700....don't you know it rained?   Jim did have to cook his steak while getting sprinkled on.  But we enjoyed our twice baked potato and he enjoyed his steak.  Matter of fact that potato filled me right up and I didn't even snack that night.

Sunday Jim worked and so did I.  It was linen day and I washed sheets and remade the bed.  While he's working I usually watch an episode or two of the Tudors

For dinner Jim finished off the fried foods from our anniversary dinner and we had sugar snap peas and yellow rice

Monday Jim worked and again I did laundry, clothes this time.  I also played some games and watched the Tudors.  Made a pot of soup too....Minestrone without the pasta.  There wasn't room in the pot! Not sure what we had for dinner.  I guess I need to write these things down!

Boo is scratching again. It's been about two weeks since his dose of flea medicine.  When he does this it just confuses me no end.  I don't know what to do to help him.  Of course he wakes us at night because he sleeps with us so none of us get much rest.  And on the weekends he hears noises from the band and has to growl and bark to let us know.  And lately, right after we go to bed he hears something and starts barking!  Sometimes it's not fun having a pet!

Tuesday was along day.  We left around 1000 for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Jacksonville.  I had a 1515 appointment for an eye exam so we thought we'd have lunch and get some shopping done.  We drove up highway 13 a lovely drive along the St John's River.  It has stretches of oaks towering over the road with modest homes along with some palatial homes as you get closer to Jacksonville.

First stop was lunch and Jim spotted a Japanese restaurant, Wakame where we had a very nice meal.  Jim chose mixed hibachi with fried rice and I enjoyed a cucumber roll and an avocado roll.  We both had miso soup and I had green tea while Jim drank water.  No leftovers!

Then we headed to NAS JAX to go to the commissary   I was hoping a couple items we needed would be there because it would be cheaper.  Picked up some items and quickly left, the place was packed!

Because they didn't have what I wanted we had to backtrack and make two stops to pick up dry dog food for Boo at Petco and coconut creamer at Whole Foods.  We also had a couple lattes at Whole Foods...so tasty!

Then we headed to the middle of town for my appointment.  I had a very thorough exam and found out my cloudiness can be cleared up with a simple zap or two with a laser.  So now I'm waiting for the VA to approve.  I was also told that Medicare would cover it.

One more stop before heading home was to get fuel.  We had passed a station that advertised it for $3.74 so we filled the tank!  

The drive home was fun...NOT!  We found ourselves in rush hour traffic on I-95 and did not like that at all.  Once we got off on highway 207 it was less stressful but glare of the setting sun was uncomfortable for me.  My eyes had been dilated and to much sun was painful.

Soon we were home and Boo was very happy to see us.  Fed him, put our purchases away, changed clothes, put some soup on for our dinner and then I finally relaxed.  After a shower I think we both felt better and once the dishes were done I was through for the day

I've not tried this salad but it sure looks good!  If you try it let me know how you like it

Rainbow Salad


Update your everyday salad by topping it with fruit, nuts, and veggies for power packed combination!
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish 
Ingredients
1 head red leaf lettuce, shredded
1 large orange, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup seedless grapes
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper
Directions
Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss.
Per Serving: 249 calories; 3 g fat; 10% calories from fat; 10 g protein; 60 g carbohydrates; 39 g sugar; 17 g fiber; 29 mg sodium
Source: Power Foods for the Brain by Neal Barnard, M.D.; Recipe by Jason Wyrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!