Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ponte Vedra Beach, Guana Tolomato Matanzas Reserve

I had finally had enough of sitting around reading, playing games and watching tv.  It's been raining everyday and if we wanted to see or do anything we just needed to do it!  Sunday was that day.  I figured if we drove far enough south we'd get out of the clouds and rain and find sunshine.  We did almost as soon as we left Mayport.

It was nice driving down A1A and seeing beach towns and beautiful houses.  We stopped at Panera's for a bite to eat.  Our destination was Ponte Vedra Beach where I was sure we'd find some shells.  This first picture isn't the best but there was no way I could remember the name of the reserve.



There is parking for a fee ($3) on the west side of the road, so we put our money in the envelope and put on our water sandals.  I also put camera, binoculars and  sunscreen in a bag and we headed across the dunes to the street, crossed that and over more dunes to the beach.
Passion Flower near the boardwalk
Atlantic Ocean looking south
Atlantic Ocean looking north

Jim took off his sandals while I left mine on for a bit.  Silly me!  Soon I had mine off and in my bag while we walked in the surf.  I like this beach because of all the Coquina shells http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coquina
  
future sand!
this nest was well above the high water mark and I cannot imagine how labor intensive it had to be to dig it.
We saw several turtle nests along the beach 


looking south
 It was wonderful spending time with Jim on the beach.  Many years ago we got up early one morning, headed to this beach and with coffee and sausage biscuits in hand we watched the sun come up
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by...love to hear what you have to say!